POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires : Re: Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:23:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Seemingly they don't understand the concept of winter tires
From: Phil Cook
Date: 25 Feb 2008 10:57:05
Message: <op.t627wolcc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Fri, 22 Feb 2008 22:06:11 -0000, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> di

spake, saying:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMzeiMJQrvk
>
>   I have heard that in many places in the US they don't even know abou
> the concept of winter tires (such as studded tires, which are used in
> Finland in winter), even at places where it snows. Seeing videos like
> this one seems to confirm this.
>
>   In some countries studded tires are prohibited by law (all year roun
d)
> because they wear the road faster. Well, I suppose it's better to have

> tons of car accidents than having to repave once in a while.

Exactly. To repave the road the state has to shut it down, redirect

traffic, pay for the contractors and materials and the only thing they g
et

back is indirect from any *possible* extra business having a nice road

brings in to the local stores.

OTOH a good car crash still shuts down the road, but for a shorter perio

of time; tow-trucks get paid from the insurance, scrap dealers get

material, and HMOs fund any medical costs incurred at the local hospital
.

So repaving a road *might* generate income for the 'area', but car

accidents always will.

Oh and yes I'm not being (totally) serious.

--

Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com