POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Game opinions : Re: Game opinions Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:17:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Game opinions
From: Phil Cook
Date: 4 Feb 2008 05:10:18
Message: <op.t5zvvmnic3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Mon, 04 Feb 2008 09:54:09 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake, saying:

>>> Yeah - good luck hitting them though. It's almost impossible to drive
>>> that vehicle! I mean, it's difficult to hit the *road*, never mind a
>>> bunch of nimble-footed metal cylopses...
>>  I have the same problems, but then I'm useless at almost every driving
>> game there is.
>
> Next time you go to the shops, try driving your car using only 100% left
> lock, 100% right lock and center. 10 points if you can do it without
> flipping your car over...

The control system for the console really didn't help with movement and
acceleration all on the left analogue stick; try to do a sharp turn and
you'd accidently go into reverse i.e. stop dead.

>> If I had to take out a hunter I used the crossbow and restocked from
>> the sheds,
>
> It's impossible to hit anything with the crossbow - especially such fast
> moving targets. (Well, no, actually it's *not* impossible - just
> extremely improbable. But you get lucky every now and then...)

IIRC they stop as they shoot their taser-style filaments. It's been some
small time, I've been sucked into Oblivion.

>> mostly I'd try to either swing around and come in from the back to
>> plant the bomb on the strider (then let the resistance deal with the
>> hunters) or try to lob a bomb on the strider from a distance; not funny
>> when the hunters target it mid-flight and destroy it, but when it
>> worked...
>
> I can't *find* the enemy to enguage them until they reach the rebel base
> - which gives you about 20 seconds to kill them. (!)

Yeah that was a hassle. I had a save just before I got out of the car and
joined the 'squad', when the console crashed I used that save and the free
time to orientate myself - there's the water
tanks/cranes/sawmill/whatever, set in relation to the bomb delivery
stations and the roads. Doing that when I hear "They're coming from the
[blank]" I knew roughly what roads to take to get alongside and behind
them. It's only if you get held up on one and get multiple "They're coming
 from the ..."'s queueing up does it get messy. I think of the first wave
only one maanged to get close enough to the base, two in the second.

Talking about the ending before the striders and just before you get sent
to 'clear the rats' did you hang around and see what happened to the pet
head crab?

> I also find it extremely difficult to throw the bomb, stick it to a
> Strider, and then switch weapons fast enough to shoot it. I don't *get*
> how all these players you see on TV manage to switch weapon in a split
> second; it takes me ages...

May be easier on a console IIRC it's circle to switch to the grav-gun and
circle to switch back to last weapon held.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com