POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What you say? : Re: What you say? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:15:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What you say?
From: Phil Cook
Date: 4 Feb 2008 04:30:24
Message: <op.t5zt1ev0c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Mon, 04 Feb 2008 01:46:32 -0000, Hildur K.
<hil### [at] 3dcafemailevery1net> did spake, saying:

>> > Yes, how did you guess?
>> >
>> ehh, pattern matching?
>
> Oh, the link, I didn´t see it the first time. Sorry :-/
>
> What I wrote is not a 100% match but means the same. Which only proves
> that
> there are always several ways to say the same thing in any lanuage.
>
> This only makes it even more difficult for the rest of us to figure
> things out
> when we don´t know all possible nuances of a language. And which also
> makes
> on-line translators necessary but usually not very helpful.
>
> Like a simple news headline: "Bush and Sharon met in Washington"
> translates to
> "A shrub and a piece of broken flower pot met in the laundry".
>
> Makes you wonder... a lot.

No doubt it would have been a more productive meeting.

> By the way, in my language we have a single word to describe "a piece of
> broken flower pot", -pottbrot-,

Which reads to me as Pot Broke, just shows where a fair chunk of English
is derived from.

> I just can´t think of a single word to describe that in English. Is
> there one? Like "a piece of broken glass" translates -glerbrot-the same
> way ;-)

Potshard; it's a special case though as you don't have glassshard. You
could have glass-shard though etc. but it's normally unhyphenated.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com