POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Web design IE mysterium : Re: Web design IE mysterium Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:14:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Web design IE mysterium
From: Phil Cook
Date: 22 Jan 2008 06:06:49
Message: <op.t5bvtcowc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Tue, 22 Jan 2008 09:40:39 -0000, Ian Burgmyer
<spe### [at] gmailcom> did spake, saying:

> Tim Cook wrote:
>> It shouldn't; I'm just saying that there's nothing *requiring* you to
>> use CSS to design a webpage, or that you can't use the parts of CSS
>> that *do* work with IE and make a working layout.  I use some CSS on my
>> webpage and it renders fine in IE.
>
> Of course there's nothing *requiring* me to use CSS to design a web
> page.  On that note, there's nothing that says I have to use standard
> compliant HTML or, for that matter, HTML at all (viva la Flash...ugh).
>
> I do not care to do a whole lot of web design work.  I generally just
> want my layout and style to work without a whole lot of hassle (or ugly
> hacks) because I'd rather focus on the content.  The last thing I want
> to do is fiddle endlessly with my markup and stylesheet because a
> browser fails to render it properly.
>
> Again, I fail to see why you chose to make a sarcastic post when I
> brought up something that is a very clear and obvious problem with the
> way that IE is designed.  I shouldn't have to dodge features of a
> language, or use lame quirks, just because IE is too inept to deal with
> it.  Every browser but IE handles it without question.

To give it a physical viewpoint if you're moving small bags around it's
easy to do it by hand; if you're moving pallets then you want to use the
forklift. Then you discover the forklift's too tall to fit through the
door of one of the warehouses. So either you stop ordering things by
pallets because of one awkward door, or you may be able to use a pallet
truck for this one warehouse. Either way it's a hassle and you don't get
things quite the way you'd want them.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com