POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It's a riddle : Re: It's a riddle Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:21:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It's a riddle
From: Phil Cook
Date: 8 Feb 2008 04:20:20
Message: <op.t56768ekc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Thu, 07 Feb 2008 17:38:31 -0000, Nicolas Alvarez
<nic### [at] gmailisthebestcom> did spake, saying:

>> Warp wrote:
>>>   When I was in school they told us that in English "'s" should only be
>>> used with people, otherwise the "of" version should be used. For
>>> example,
>>> you shouldn't say "the house's window" but "the window of the house".
>>  As a native speaker of American english, I will say I've never heard
>> of such a rule. Indeed, such a "window of the house" would make me
>> think you're a native French speaker speaking English or something.

Agreed, contractions tend to be the rule for native English speakers.

> I remember "the shop window" (no 's) from a book we used at school...

"Shop window" has been elevated to a specific rather then general case,
you are discussing the window which is used by the shop to display their
wares; despite the fact there may be more then one of them. If, however,
you were refering to a general window above the shop then you would say
'the shop's window was broken'

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com