POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : There comes a time... : Re: There comes a time... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:19:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: There comes a time...
From: Phil Cook
Date: 6 Feb 2008 06:01:56
Message: <op.t53nf8dmc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Wed, 06 Feb 2008 09:57:38 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake, saying:

>>> Oh, "only" $3,000. Bargin. ;-)
>>  Well, the $3000 covers dual power supplies, hardware raid, dual giabit
>> ethernet, rack-mount, a year of Linux support from Novel, dual SATA
>> 500G hard drives, 16G of RAM, four dual-core 2.<mumble> CPUs...
>>  Yeah, not too bad.
>
> That's actually quite good.
>

> it doesn't have half that stuff.
>
> OTOH, Phil was complaining that you can't buy desktop machines that slot
> together like lego. And I countered that you *can* buy such equipment,
> it's just far too expensive to use as a desktop. ;-)

Succinctly put thank you. The whole thing is why hasn't the slot-together
style reached down into the standard market, and if it did how would that
affect 'normal' users' computer buying patterns. Instead of buying an
entire new computer would they instead opt to upgrade the old one because
it's a piece of cake to do.

I mean seriously I've listened to friends talking about upgrading their
entire computer to get more speed out of a game or something when all they
need to do is switch the video card (or *to* a video card rather then the
MB GPU). To them the computer is a lump like a television, opening the
case doesn't occur to them and I don't think they'd be enthused by what
they'd find if they did.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com