POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : There comes a time... : Re: There comes a time... Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:19:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: There comes a time...
From: Phil Cook
Date: 4 Feb 2008 10:29:20
Message: <op.t50akiokc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Mon, 04 Feb 2008 14:53:06 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake, saying:

> Phil Cook wrote:
>
>> In a older thread I pointed out how installing things in terms of
>> hardware has barely changed compared to software. Depending on what
>> you're doing you're still expected to pop the case, screw/unscrew
>> things, fiddle with wires and jumper settings while ensuring you're not
>> statically charged and shorting anything out.
>>  Can you imagine if the only way to install anying in Windows was to
>> locate the correct installation file, move some of the files over
>> manually, and then set the right commands in the registry while at the
>> same time ensuring it doesn't mess with any of your other programmes?
>>  I mean sure things have got better superficially. I opened the case by
>> hand rather then by screwdriver, and... um yeah that's about the only
>> difference I noted.
>
> Dude. Jumpers.
>
> Seriously. Jumpers.

Which I had to change to set the FSB speed; not counting the ones on the
HDs for master/slave which I didn't need to look at. You're right though I
recall racks of jumpers which had to be set to arcane precsion to get
things working, but it's still a testament that's the only advance you can
spot. Unless you want to go off on SCSI, but that's always been dark juju.

> It used to be the case that getting any new bit of hardware to work
> involved advanced jumper settings, twiddling dip switches and chanting
> over voodoo dolls. Today you can pretty much just plug in a PCI card and
> *expect* it to work immediately -

> or at least as soon as you put the CD in.

So the CD counts as part of the hardware then?

> No IRQ conflicts, no driver mismatches, IT JUST WORKS!!

Describe the process for installing a CPU five/ten years ago compared to
doing so today. Repeat with a video card leaving out bits you're doing in
software.

> Anybody who remembers the old skool ways will tell you just how much of
> an improvement that is.

But how much is that down to an improvement in software. Windows 95
automatically added new hardware and sought out the drivers for it.

> And let's not even get started on all those USB goodies that YOU JUST
> PLUG IN AND THEY GO! It wasn't like that before. Had to turn off the
> whole PC to connect or disconnect anything...

Again though why did the older computers need to reboot - the software
unable to dynamically load/unload drivers or a physical hardware aspect?

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com