POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Most incomprehensible films ever : Re: Most incomprehensible films ever Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:11:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most incomprehensible films ever
From: Phil Cook
Date: 14 Jan 2008 04:23:19
Message: <op.t4wxnux2c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Sat, 12 Jan 2008 03:09:06 -0000, Mueen Nawaz <m.n### [at] ieeeorg>
did spake, saying:

> Phil Cook wrote:
>> But we're not necessariy talking real-life we're talking self-contained
>> film universe.
>
> 	Fair enough, but I've found people's expectations of how people should
> behave in those universes differs widely.
>
>> But the 'just reciting lines' is more then what is said it's all the
>> accompanying body language too; just watch some old (or not so old)
>> silent movies to see the difference. If you want some fun watch all the
>
> 	I've watched a number of old movies, including silent ones.
>
> 	I see patterns in acting behavior for different eras. Some quite
> different from the modern era. Yes, they had a different acting style,
> but what's your point? It just means that people expected something
> differently back then.
>
> 	I have a colleague who used to badmouth B&W movies because they're
> acting was "horrible". So I finally got sick of it and asked, "And the
> acting these days is better how?". He's a smart guy. Thought about it
> for a few minutes, and then retracted his statement.

I was responding to the reciting lines bit by pointing out it's possible
to have bad acting in silent movies that by definition don't have anyone
saying anything.

> 	It really is all subjective.
>
>>>     I have no issues with people liking/disliking the acting in movies.
>>> Arguing about it, however, seems futile. "Good" acting almost comes
>>> down
>>> to a personal preference. Like one's taste in music.
>>
>> But what else have you got to measure it by? If 90% of the audience say
>> "Wow that acting was bad" how can you say "Well that's only your
>> subjective opinon"?
>
> 	Yes.
>
> 	Have you never liked music that 90% of the world dislikes? Would you
> change your mind and say the music is bad because they do?
>
> 	Or movies?
>
> 	Or books?
>
> 	It seems you're trying to _define_ the quality of acting to be more or
> less: Whatever the audience at the time expects...

Indeed, however I can normally see what they're complaining about I just
didn't notice or don't care.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com