POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quick: name seven gases in your house! : Re: Quick: name seven gases in your house! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:12:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quick: name seven gases in your house!
From: Phil Cook
Date: 11 Jan 2008 10:27:01
Message: <op.t4ruh2nkc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:06:23 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake, saying:

>>> Interesting. I was under the impression that *all* noble gasses are
>>> extremely rare...
>>  1% of the atmosphere or so. It's used in a lot of places because it's
>> not so
>> rare. Often used in fire-extinguishing systems for server rooms
>
> Well, gold is extremely rare, but if you have the cash there's no
> problem with buying some. ;-)
>
> 1% of air is certainly a vastly higher figure than I had imagined though.

I think the fact it doesn't 'do anything' from our limited perception on
matters makes it seem rarer, a bit like the fact that nitrogen forms a
greater percentage of air then oxygen sometimes comes as a shock to people.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com