POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Most incomprehensible films ever : Re: Most incomprehensible films ever Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:18:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most incomprehensible films ever
From: Phil Cook
Date: 11 Jan 2008 04:27:11
Message: <op.t4rduj0uc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Thu, 10 Jan 2008 17:16:31 -0000, Mueen Nawaz <m.n### [at] ieeeorg>
did spake, saying:

> Warp wrote:
>> Mueen Nawaz <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote:
>>>         But anyway, I get amused with comments about "bad acting".
>>> What exactly
>>> is bad acting? Can't seem to come up with an objective criterion.
>>
>>   Acting is bad when you notice that they are acting, ie. when it makes
>
> 	I very frequently notice people acting. As I mentioned, almost all the
> actors in action movies are noticeably acting. It rarely corresponds to
> behavior in real life situations.

But we're not necessariy talking real-life we're talking self-contained
film universe.

> 	For me, it's highly subjective. If someone seems to be reciting lines,
> (and it's not made clear that the character's personality should do it),
> that's bad acting. Everything else is based on "fits well with the
> scene", etc. I just can't be more objective.

But the 'just reciting lines' is more then what is said it's all the
accompanying body language too; just watch some old (or not so old) silent
movies to see the difference. If you want some fun watch all the Star Wars
movies muted and try to work out who are the goodies who are the baddies
and what everyone's relationship is with each other.

> 	I have no issues with people liking/disliking the acting in movies.
> Arguing about it, however, seems futile. "Good" acting almost comes down
> to a personal preference. Like one's taste in music.

But what else have you got to measure it by? If 90% of the audience say
"Wow that acting was bad" how can you say "Well that's only your
subjective opinon"?

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com