POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Physical puzzle : Re: Physical puzzle Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:14:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physical puzzle
From: Phil Cook
Date: 7 Jan 2008 10:14:55
Message: <op.t4ke7qsac3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Mon, 07 Jan 2008 15:01:51 -0000, Phil Cook
<phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk> did spake, saying:

> And lo on Mon, 07 Jan 2008 12:38:14 -0000, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
> did spake, saying:
>
>> Phil Cook <phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk> wrote:
>>> If they were travelling at the same speed I'd have thought that the
>>> shortening of both track and train would be proportional from the view
>>> of
>>> the other train?
>>
>>   The trains travel at the same speed (in relation to the track) but in
>> opposite directions. Thus from the POV of one of the trains the other
>> train is approaching faster than the double track.
>
> Okay I'm the driver of one train and you're the driver of the other.
>
> I see that your train is shorter then the double section of track and
> that you're travelling faster then I am, therefore you hit the double
> section before I do. But my train is still the same length as the double
> track (or longer), so although I can clear the section without hitting
> the end of your train (because you're shorter) I would expect you to hit
> the end of my train (because you're faster).
>
> I mean I can it understand how it works from Darren's perspective
> sitting by the track, just not from the drivers.

Ah got it I think. Although both trains hit the double track at the same
time from my train you haven't reached it yet, so if I see you as 1/4 of
the length of the section I can be halfway along the double track before
you've even got on it. So I'll reach my end when you're clear and you
won't reach your end (despite being faster) until I've cleared your end
(my start).

Ouch yeah that works, we each perceive the other as reaching the double
section after ourselves.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com