POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Company newsletters : Re: Company newsletters Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:22:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Company newsletters
From: Phil Cook
Date: 4 Jan 2008 11:48:55
Message: <op.t4ezngsac3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Fri, 04 Jan 2008 16:22:19 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake, saying:

>>> I especially like how I get this same email every 7 days, and it's
>>> written in 24-point Impact in bright orange at the top of the email.
>>  It's sent every weel to remind you of these key points. To my mind no
>> important list should ever go beyond three points because by the time
>> you get to number 5 everyone's forgotten the first one. If you have to
>> keep either a piece of paper with the list or remind everyone about
>> them once a week then they can't exactly be important and or relevant
>> to what the workforce are actually doing.
>
> Indeed...

Weel: 1) Term given to the standard five-day work week
       2) Regional variation of well "Weel I'd give it a few more minutes
if I were you"
       3) Mis-spelling of the word week caused by drowsiness

>> On that note does is say "shareholder's wealth" or "shareholders'
>> wealth" as the former would indicate that there was only shareholder.
>
> Yeah, but not a lot of people know that. I mean, heck, we're talking
> about people who can't pronounce "aluminium" correctly. ;-)

Yeah, but it would be good for a giggle wouldn't it, just 'correct' it as
"Continue to enhance the wealth of our shareholder" and see if anyone
notices.

>>> Indeed. It's a game of poker. You try to make everybody *think* you've
>>> got a royal flush in your hand, and hope they increase your share
>>> price. If you're good at bluffing, they believe you. If you're not,
>>> they don't. And, if you're unlucky, maybe you really *do* have a royal
>>> flush, they don't believe you anyway, and your share price *still*
>>> sucks...
>>  Except at some point you really do need to be holding a royal flush on
>> occasion or no-one will believe anything you say.
>
> One person? Perhaps. A large corporation? Well, you can say "new
> management" and stuff. Unlike people, companies can change. (Although
> it's still fairly rare.)

What I meant was in poker if everyone folds then your cards remain hidden,
if you've announced you're looking forward to a big profit and you don't
get one that's difficult (but not impossible) to hide.

>>> I meant that the general public "believe" that Micro$oft cannot
>>> possibly fail. Obviously *all* companies *can*, in fact, fail. It's
>>> just that not all people seem to comprehend this simple fact.
>>  People are highly sensible when it comes to stocks, just ignore the
>> South Sea Bubble, Wall Street Crash, Dot-com Bubble, Black Wednesday,
>> and the current Sub-Prime Scandal and you won't see a single instance
>> of laissez-faire capitialism being misused by them.
>
> Wow. That's advanced. I can't even tell if you're serious of not. LOL!

Heh to summarise they're cases where people thought they could make quick
and easy money with little or no risk. Like 99% of such cases they were
wrong. It's the 1% that makes the money and keeps people trying... either
that or having a huge wad invested in a diverse portfolio whereby the
overall long-term trend up-wards cancels out any short-term losses. Or
having the initials GWB and illegally selling all your shares just before
the announcements of how much money your company has lost is reported.
(I'd like to point out for the record that the SEC investigated that
instance and the man in charge of the investigation, who was a really good
friend of the defendent's father, didn't think there was a case worth
pursuing)

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com