POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Most incomprehensible films ever : Re: Most incomprehensible films ever Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:13:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most incomprehensible films ever
From: Phil Cook
Date: 4 Jan 2008 11:33:26
Message: <op.t4eyxntcc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Fri, 04 Jan 2008 15:51:34 -0000, nemesis
<nam### [at] gmailcom> did spake, saying:

> Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>
>> Oh, is *that* why they went there? (And that's where "there" was...)
>
> I think that's pretty obvious, no?  All that space ballet until they get
> to the
> moon and Dr. Floyd is told of the discovery... then, it cuts to a manned
> mission to Jupiter where the tripulants are actually unaware of the real
> mission, confided to HAL alone:  to search for the giant monolith near
> the
> giant planet.  Eventually, the crew's mission conflict with HAL's main
> mission
> and the AI becomes "paranoid", so to speak.  The shit hits the fans and
> it's up
> to Dave to turn off HAL to save his life.  In the process he discovers
> the real
> purpose and gets to the monolith to know the truth.  The bad acid trip
> could be
> seen as the monolith opening a worm whole and getting Dave closer for
> inspection
> by the creators...

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but you've pretty much summed up
why in parts the film could be considered incomprehensible...

See the monolith teaches the apes how to build spaceships out of bone,
they use this to fly to the Moon where they've discovered another
monolith. Meanwhile on a flight to Jupiter the controlling computer goes
mad and starts singing "Daisy, Daisy" until the one member of crew who
hasn't died from bashing his head against the wall pulls the plug and
thereby discovers another huge monolith floating around Jupiter. Despite
declaring that "It's full of stars" is does in fact contain a small white
room in which an old man is looking at a baby. The End.

> the old man seeing the baby in the monolith is an alegory for the life
> cycle...

Yeah see Andrew, duh it's obviously an allegory for the life cycle. :-P

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com