POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hand-hand email devices reek? : Re: Hand-hand email devices reek? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:17:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hand-hand email devices reek?
From: Phil Cook
Date: 4 Jan 2008 04:25:17
Message: <op.t4ee4htkc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Mon, 24 Dec 2007 08:56:55 -0000, Chambers
<ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> did spake, saying:

> gregjohn wrote:
<snip>
>>  Is the handheld email device inherently problematic?
>
> No, they allow you to sync such things as email folders and address
> lists with your computer.

Oh please! Don't make me start on syncing contacts. Oh too late - a friend
doesn't have many contacts listed prefers First Name, Last Name order and
that's how it's set up on his email package (Outlook something), except
the mobile prefers Last Name, First Name. Not a problem the phone setting
can be altered. Great until he enters a new contact on his mobile and it
syncs to his computer in the reverse order. Likewise distribution groups
never seem to copy over, likewise custom fields or even slightly too much
data in the notes field gets truncated.

Even better when he's got a laptop and a desktop and tries to sync with
both of them. Contact entered on mobile and synced to laptop - contact
added, mobile conected to desktop not synced, sync laptop to desktop
contact added, sync mobile to desktop - contact duplicated.

I think they're fine in a business environment using Exchange (or
equivalent) it just seems to get really messy for the non-server using
general public.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com