19 Oct 2024 12:21:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Phil Cook
Date: 13 Dec 2007 12:02:48
Message: <op.t299mxaoc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Thu, 13 Dec 2007 16:42:12 -0000, Alain
<ele### [at] netscapenet> did spake, saying:

> Phil Cook nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/12/13 04:08:
>> And lo on Wed, 12 Dec 2007 16:34:54 -0000, nemesis
>> <nam### [at] gmailcom> did spake, saying:

>>> Faith, love, respect and fear are to be expected from those who devote
>>> their lifes to God's will.
>>  Except I'd put faith and love, and respect and fear in two entirely
>> seperate categories otherwise we end up with the conclusions that...
>>
> Respect and fear realy don't deserve to be grouped. Apparent respect
> comming from fear is no respect at all, as it soon become obvious as
> soon as the fear aspect fades, apparent respect mutate into hate. True
> respect comes from understanding. True respect breed more respect, and
> reduce fear.
> Respect can be paired with love, as both can grow without the presence
> of the other, and both can lead to the other.
> So, you can have "faith", love and respect on one side, and fear and
> hate on the other side.

I failed to explain well. Faith and love are intangibles "Why do you love
X?", "Why do you have faith in Y?" they're both something you can't really
answer - you just do. Fear and respect have answers "I respect X because
he's proven himself" "I fear Y because I've seen what he can do". You
don't just fear or respect someone or something (experiments with spider
pictures notwithstanding).

> A very simple principle:
> Do unto others as you'd like other to do unto you.
> It can replace any religion, and a great many laws. It can be used as a
> reference to diferensate between "good" and "evil".

Um I'm a sado-masochist (no I'm not really) who gets off on pain therefore
I should go around hurting people because that's what I'd want them to do
to me?

> ANYBODY who, at least try to, live by that principle won't wilingly
> commit any crime.
> What I like about it, is that it's a positive principle.

So I shouldn't steal from a store because I wouldn't like the store
stealing from me... except the store isn't a person (except perhaps
legally) so why should I care?

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com