POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More poor planning : Re: More poor planning Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:19:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More poor planning
From: Phil Cook
Date: 16 Nov 2007 09:15:50
Message: <op.t1v1sfz6c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Fri, 16 Nov 2007 11:46:50 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake, saying:

Try http://thepiratebay.org/legal.php for more 'the US is the World' fun.

>>> Initially the software was configured with the UK currency as "lbs".
>>> (!)
>>  Hey it's historically accurate.
>
> Do you have a cite for that?

which also refers to weight and is what the currency was originally based
on...no :-) Oh and it should be lb for the plural like sheep, so they did
get that wrong.

>>> they send you a printed invoice with hand-written corrections, *what*
>>> are you going to think about that company??)
>>  That they're a small firm with no grasp of IT systems, which is fine
>> if they're plumbers.
>
> Yeah. Not so good in an industry that's ruled by computers.
>
> But then, this company generally seems to talk like a big firm and act
> like a small 1-man band...

Been there...

>> <snip>
>>> This has trippled our accountant's workload.
>>  And HQ have been told this?
>
> Endlessly. Our accountant spent *months* trying to get them to
> reconfigure the software to allow her to do her job properly. They
> variously didn't understand what she meant, or thought she was just
> being awkward for the sake of causing trouble.

Invite their accountant over to 'show' her how to do her job properly.

>> <snip>

>>  But at a 4x heightened efficiency no doubt.
>
> Well, it's Cisco, so at least you can geniunely say it's the best
> product on the market. (Unlike the Dell thing...) It's expensive, but at
> least you can say you're getting build quality.

It is kind of like buying gold-filigreed oars carved from the finest woods
by master craftsman in order to paddle your hide coracle.

> OTOH, our current switches have worked perfectly for over 10 years too...

Ah due for failure then :-)

>>> 5. This just in - HQ have proposed a new, standardised company-wide
>>> computer naming scheme.
>>>
>>> They want to name each computer according to where it is in the
>>> building.
>>  Beautiful; you have pointed out that this will break the audit trail
>> currently in place, breaks some software, only really works if you have
>> one computer per location, and will cost time and money every time a
>> computer is moved - whereas using the description field solves the
>> problem that they state (being able to see where a computer is) without
>> any of these problems.
>
> You just sumerised the whole CF, right there.

It's a knack,now just COPY* and paste it into an email to HQ.

*Just for you Warp.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com