POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wahahahaha! : Re: Wahahahaha! Server Time
12 Oct 2024 03:18:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wahahahaha!
From: Phil Cook
Date: 8 Nov 2007 04:22:08
Message: <op.t1guytcsc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Thu, 08 Nov 2007 09:05:58 -0000, Brian Elliott
<NotForSpam@AskIfUWant> did spake, saying:

> "Orchid XP v7" <voi### [at] devnull> wrote in message
>> Phil Cook wrote:
>>
>>> "This program has tried to do something in a way I don't understand so
>>> I'm going to shut it down" how easy would that have been to use;
>>> instead of illegal this and exception that?
>>
>> How about just "the program has malfunctioned, so we're shutting it
>> down"?
>
> Yes, either would do well, Andy's is more friendly to the "normal" user
> (comp. unsavvy).

Agreed Andy's is better.

> But the messages didn't turn out friendly because it was written by one
> of "our" type: an I.T. nerd / high priest, who disdains communications
> with and the intelligence of everyone except other I.T. nerds / high
> priests.

And for some reason has perpetuated through countless operating systems of
countless versions. I thought Microsoft had an entire department dedicated
to user-friendliness; oh wait it's run by 'us' isn't it :-)

> OK, we might be sensitive, but we never said we're perfect.  :-)
> Well alright, we imply it sometimes  ;-)

Nobody's perfect, we're just the closest thing there is.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com