POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Saw the most insightful description of opera : Re: Saw the most insightful description of opera Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:14:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Saw the most insightful description of opera
From: Phil Cook
Date: 6 Nov 2007 06:11:36
Message: <op.t1dapajgc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Sat, 03 Nov 2007 03:29:15 -0000, nemesis
<nam### [at] gmailcom> did spake, saying:

> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>> "Bad acting, but good singing."
>>
>>   I think that quite aptly describes opera. :P
>
> never really digged Opera, except for a few arias and orchestral
> passages.  I
> feel very much the same as when watching some of the old Hollywood
> musicals:
> actors suddenly stopping what they are doing and beggining to sing and
> dance
> out of nowhere give me the creeps... it's out of context but are very
> enjoyable
> out of the context of the work itself... :)

Agreed, for me it's not just the sudden bursting into song, it's the way
everyone joins in then forgets all about it once the song has finished.
The only musicals I can stand are Bugsy Malone, Little Shop of Horrors,
and The Rocky Horror Picture Show; others and opera make me wince.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com