POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It's Word again : Re: Yet more problems Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:10:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet more problems
From: Phil Cook
Date: 22 Nov 2007 11:01:14
Message: <op.t17asgowc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Thu, 22 Nov 2007 15:50:01 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake, saying:

> Phil Cook wrote:
>> And lo on Thu, 22 Nov 2007 15:19:09 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull>
>> did spake, saying:
>>
>>> Well, I spent ages editing my Normal template to give me just the
>>> formatting I want.
>>  Which is where you went wrong, you don't fiddle with Normal you create
>> a new one.
>
> Hmm, I see.
>
> So if I do that, how do I then use all my custom styles in new documents?

You select File|New... which asks what template you want to use, or create
a shortcut directly to it.

>>> But then I tried to go edit another document, and every time I touch
>>> anything, the formatting just goes crazy. Stuff like I ask for a
>>> bullet list and I get a level 3 heading. (WTF?) And all the margins
>>> and alignments are all over the place and... basically the more I
>>> touch the document, the more screwed up it gets. It just randomly
>>> changes formatting on me.
>>  Because most of the templates are based on Normal.
>
> Interesting design choice. (But then, the paperclip is far more
> questionable, IMO...)
>
>>> Damn, I am *so* glad that using Word isn't my major job function! >_<
>>  If you want to start from scratch save your normal template under a
>> different name then delete it. When it starts up Word will create a new
>> untouched Normal.dot template.
>
> OK. I'll do that then...

Remember you can't rename or delete a template currently in use in Word,
so you can just find and rename Normal.dot to Andrew.dot when Word is not
running. Sorry I'm so used to talking to people who only know how to work
in Word ask them to go to Explorer and they panic :-)

>> I'm trying to remember if this will wipe your dictionary additions or
>> not, as well as any additional menu items you might have created so be
>> warned.
>
> There are no such additions to wipe, currently.

Then no problem.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com