POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Crysis is a devious Vista advertisement stunt? : Re: Crysis is a devious Vista advertisement stunt? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:18:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crysis is a devious Vista advertisement stunt?
From: Phil Cook
Date: 29 Oct 2007 10:45:57
Message: <op.t0yt2qmuc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:13:11 -0000, Nicolas Alvarez
<nic### [at] gmailisthebestcom> did spake, saying:

>>    It seems that this is a hoax. Just a marketing campaign. Yes, the
>> "very high" quality setting does indeed turn on several additional
>> rendering features, but the hoax is that these rendering features *do*
>> work in XP with a DX9 graphics card, and they do so at perfectly
>> acceptable
>> speeds. Not allowing to choose this highest quality option unless you
>> are
>> running Vista and a DX10 graphics card has nothing to do with lacking
>> hardware/OS support, but it's just an artificial limitation.

> Some people on that forum were saying that if you don't have DX10, those
> features would run on the CPU instead of the GPU. Sounds like BS as
> well: If it was done by the CPU, the framerates would be a lot lower.
> People who edited the config were getting framerates *even better than
> on Vista*.
>
> Also, it would use the CPU if your GPU doesn't support the features and
> you force them enabled anyway; but if you don't have the interface to do
> such effects (DX10), there would be no way for the game to get those
> effects.
>
> So it's definitely as you say and as most people said on the forum: DX9
> can do all those effects.

Wasn't this one of the original points of DX? 'The program says do this DX
action. The card drivers says it can handle it - give it to the card; The
card drivers says it can't handle it - can I emulate it?

Sometimes it was yes, sometimes no; depended on what was being asked for.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com