POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Annoying problem : Re: Annoying problem Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:21:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Annoying problem
From: Phil Cook
Date: 22 Oct 2007 09:09:18
Message: <op.t0ln42mgc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Mon, 22 Oct 2007 12:08:30 +0100, scott <sco### [at] laptopcom> did
spake, saying:

>> CRT-wise I generally need to run at 72Hz or higher;
>
> I think that's about average from my limited sample size :-)  For me,
> even at 72/75Hz, when showing large white areas I can see the flicker.
> I used to have mine set at 85 IIRC.
>
>> LCDs I can get away  with 60Hz, but I get this odd 'sensation' in my
>> eyes/head that something's  not quite right.
>
> Is that with all LCDs?  Although light output from LCD remains virtually
> constant during a frame, badly designed/adjusted LCDs can have slightly
> different brightnesses between odd and even frames.  This is because the
> average voltage needs to be 0V across LC otherwise bad things happen,
> you get around this by applying (eg) 4V one frame, -4V next frame, then
> 4V, etc. Usually each horizontal line is driven with opposite polarity,
> so even if there is some small difference it averages out spatially each
> frame.  Even better LCDs drive each pixel with opposite polarity (in a
> checkerboard pattern) so it is virtually impossible to notice any
> flicker even when the +/- are matched very badly.
>
> Standard test patterns we use here are black/white horizontal lines and
> 1 pixel checkerboard patterns, these highlight any problems that would
> otherwise be disguised with areas of plain colour.  Maybe give it a try?
>
>> CRT TVs at 50Hz are okay at a distance and for short  periods of time,
>> but as I've mentioned the LCD ones just do my head in.  Heh all sounds
>> totally contradictory, but that's how I see things not as  if I can
>> take my complaints to the designer.
>
> You can tell me :-)  Do you have the problems with LCD with static
> images too, or is it just moving pictures?

Not something I've exactly made a scientific test of ;-) Anyway hmm
thinking about it 'name' brand LCD seem better then no-namers. TV-wise
both static and moving, but moving more so.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com