POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Annoying problem : Re: Annoying problem Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:20:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Annoying problem
From: Phil Cook
Date: 22 Oct 2007 06:36:17
Message: <op.t0lg13r6c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:14:05 +0100, scott <sco### [at] laptopcom> did
spake, saying:

>> Not bulbs, but I know the tubes hum seem to increase in pitch and they
>> start flickering before they go. I spot it more often in shops
>> (prevalence of such lights), but the wierd thing if I point it out to
>> someone or a sales guy they just get a blank look. If it was all of the
>> lights doing it I'd say it was me, but it's just some. Oh and for some
>> reason the flicker shows up more in reflecting light, browsing one
>> section of DVDs I had to stop as it was like a strobe effect.
>>
>> Anyone else with the same thing or should I just submit myself to the
>> nearest lab for scientific study and dissection :-)
>
> Yeh, I think your eye is more sensitive to flicker away from the centre
> high-resolution bit.  Often on my gf's parents old CRT (the only one I
> ever use nowadays) I can see it flicker out of the corner of my eye when
> displaying a whitish image (eg google website), but when I stare
> directly at it it looks fine.

CRT-wise I generally need to run at 72Hz or higher; LCDs I can get away
with 60Hz, but I get this odd 'sensation' in my eyes/head that something's
not quite right. CRT TVs at 50Hz are okay at a distance and for short
periods of time, but as I've mentioned the LCD ones just do my head in.
Heh all sounds totally contradictory, but that's how I see things not as
if I can take my complaints to the designer.

> Also, as I understand, the amount of flicker visible varies quite a lot
> person to person.  What you see as annoying flicker someone else might
> not even notice.

Just odd I've not bumped into anyone else with the same ability. Oo no I
tell a lie there was a girl with similiar abilities, less on the flicker
more on the tone and feeling things like TVs being turned on and off.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com