POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Annoying problem : Re: Annoying problem Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:18:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Annoying problem
From: Phil Cook
Date: 22 Oct 2007 05:44:50
Message: <op.t0leocqic3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Sat, 20 Oct 2007 09:15:39 +0100, Orchid XP v7 <voi### [at] devnull>
did spake, saying:

> Darren New wrote:
>
> Speaking of light bulbs... I recall one time at school, I walked into a
> room, and there was a small group of kids staring at the ceiling. I'm
> like "WTH? Is this the most exciting thing going?" And they're all like
> "no, no, come over here and LISTEN!"
>
> It turns out the light bulb was making a weird sound, like
>
> WAB WAAB WAB WAHAHAHAB WALALALAAAAA WALALL WAAAAB AB WABALALAL...
>
> And then suddenly, as we watched it, the pitch suddenly changed, and the
> light slowly faded to black, and went out, and the noise stopped.
>
> I've seen bulbs pop before, but THAT was just weird!

Not bulbs, but I know the tubes hum seem to increase in pitch and they
start flickering before they go. I spot it more often in shops (prevalence
of such lights), but the wierd thing if I point it out to someone or a
sales guy they just get a blank look. If it was all of the lights doing it
I'd say it was me, but it's just some. Oh and for some reason the flicker
shows up more in reflecting light, browsing one section of DVDs I had to
stop as it was like a strobe effect.

Anyone else with the same thing or should I just submit myself to the
nearest lab for scientific study and dissection :-)

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com