POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : new free HDRI : Re: new free HDRI Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:24:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: new free HDRI
From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 12 May 2005 18:11:47
Message: <op.sqon2dgscs6ysw@frogeater.bredbandsbolaget.se>
On Fri, 13 May 2005 00:00:15 +0200, Vincent LE CHEVALIER
<gal### [at] libertysurffr> wrote:
> Fredrik Eriksson wrote:
>> I am just not completely sure
>> of  the portability of the libraries used, particularly the OpenEXR
>> library.
>
> Quoting www.openexr.com : "OpenEXR has been ported to GNU/Linux, OS X
> 10.2, Win32, and IRIX. It should be fairly easy to port to other
> UNIX-like operating systems."
>
> So apparently OpenEXR wouldn't cause much trouble...

The question is: Does the OpenEXR source compile *and work* as-is on those
platforms, or does "has been ported" simply mean "someone, somewhere,
knows what must be changed to make it work on platform X"?

The big issue, though, is whether anyone even cares about this program. I
could just release the source and let the users worry about portability,
but I would have to clean it up a bit first, and I'm not going to make
that effort unless people will benefit from it.

--
FE