POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : image_maps: using .png vs .bmp file type : Re: image_maps: using .png vs .bmp file type Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:19:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: image_maps: using .png vs .bmp file type
From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 22 Nov 2005 04:26:21
Message: <op.s0mxuelzcs6ysw@frogeater.bredbandsbolaget.se>
I am not sure if this is what is causing your problems, but PC software
has a tendency to assume that the monitor has a gamma of 2.2. Adjusting
your monitor to make it have a gamma of 1.8 can make such software produce
bad results.

> I've purposely left out the "use assumed_gamma of 1.0" suggestion
> altogether

I take this to mean that you have tried it, and it made no difference. Not
surprising, given that you have calibrated both monitors to match.

> Now comes the problem...
> 4)  In PC, open the newly-created .png image in Photoshop 5.5, add
> nothing
> to it,  and save it (as .png again.) Run POV scene with it.  Results
> within
> POV: The image_map image is now darker, with more contrast...looking
> like a
> major gamma alteration.

Sounds like the result of PS writing a gamma value of 2.2 to the file,
even though it was created for gamma 1.8.

Have you examined the files to see what the gamma chunk says?

> Changing Photoshop's gamma to 1.45 equalizes them. Strange.

Note that the ratio 1.45/1.8 is very close to 1.8/2.2.

--
FE