POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : pov64 - linux advice wanted please! : Re: pov64 - linux advice wanted please! Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:31:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pov64 - linux advice wanted please!
From: Jellby
Date: 4 Dec 2005 11:57:31
Message: <og7963-e13.ln1@badulaque.unex.es>
Among other things, Tek saw fit to write:

> 1/ what version of linux should I get?

Any modern up-to-date one. I use Mandriva in several computers and it works
perfectly for me. There is a 64-bit version of Mandriva.

> 2/ how much better is 64-bit pov compared to 32-bit on the same system?
> (i.e. is it worth the effort?)

I have no idea, sorry. I have never tried a 64-bit system.

To your other questions. Any decent linux can run POV-Ray, you just compile
it from sources (which is easy) with the appropriate optimizations (which
may be harder to find, but google and usenet are your friends).

And yes, you need a "special" linux for a 64-bit system, at least if you
want it to really use the 64 bits[*]. My advice is to install a 64-bit
distro, take your time configuring it at your liking (install, uninstall
and setup programs) and keep it up-to-date with its tools (urpmi, apt, yum,
yast... whatever).

[*] This is because you get the precompiled kernel and tools. If you were
going to compile everything yourself (as you can do with Gentoo or LFS),
then I guess you don't need a special version, or better said, in this case
you get your very special personalized version for your very specific
computer.

--
light_source{9+9*x,1}camera{orthographic look_at(1-y)/4angle 30location
9/4-z*4}light_source{-9*z,1}union{box{.9-z.1+x clipped_by{plane{2+y-4*x