POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is free choice an illusion? : Re: Is free choice an illusion? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:15:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is free choice an illusion?
From: Stephen
Date: 15 Sep 2009 17:03:15
Message: <o700b55e11dui51thsofksqfo8qbrihubd@4ax.com>
On 14 Sep 2009 15:03:06 -0400, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>> IMO it matters not a jot if we have free will or not. My stance is that we
>> should act as if we do have free will. The other way of living is a good excuse
>> for bad behaviour, again IMO.
>
>  Why would it be a good excuse? Regardless of whether you have free will or
>not, you can still feel pain. If you make bad things, you are very probably
>going to suffer some physical or mental pain as a consequence (eg. sent to
>jail or whatever). It makes no sense to go to jail just because you think
>you have no free will.

Now I was thinking about certain religious sects who believed that they were the
"chosen ones" and would go to heaven no mater what they did. It was predestined.
But to answer your post. Not all people would feel bad because they did bad
things. If they could justify their actions by saying that, that was the way
they were then it was OK. Sad but not their fault.
You may not have met people like that but, unfortunately I have.
--

Regards
     Stephen