POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Slow CSG : Re: Slow CSG Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:22:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Slow CSG
From: Peter Popov
Date: 16 Sep 2001 15:58:38
Message: <nsp9qts1h8soc3tj90r9romribfukrnp1u@4ax.com>
On Thu, 13 Sep 2001 16:48:53 +0100, "Arnold the Aardvark"
<aar### [at] NOTTHIStubulidentatademoncouk> wrote:

>I created a shape by using the difference between a torus
>and a union of many cylinders. This renders very slowly.
>If I render the union of cylinders as the object it is much,
>much faster. I am using bound_by.
>
>Are there any other optimisations I can use for the difference?

Instead of intersecting the torus with the union of cylinders, make a
union of the intersection of each cylinder with the torus. POV will
then take much more advantage of autobounding and vista buffering than
it does with your current implementation.

The memory consumed with what I proposed is greater, but with "many"
being relatively sane, this shouldn't be a problem.

Hope this helps.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg