POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Re: POV's splines : Re: POV's splines Server Time
30 Jun 2024 20:34:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV's splines
From: ABX
Date: 26 May 2004 06:13:51
Message: <nrq8b056ai774uuc6vrk12krbrcqkjt1v9@4ax.com>
On Wed, 26 May 2004 05:24:11 -0400, "David Wallace" <dar### [at] earthlinknet>
wrote:
> Sorry, generating meshes from splines is not trivial, especially when you
> have a parametric surface with u = "clock value" and v going around the
> spline.

I'm not sure I understand you. If u=clock then it is constant per scene (if it
is clock of animation). If you mean u=clock as being parameter of the spline
then most probably you mean different spline as for v parameter.

> The issue comes from finding a consistent "normal" vector to the
> spline to start the mesh circle.

If the spline is closed then finding normal at the end is equally difficult on
start/end as in the middle. Just input for calculating it changes, but
algorithm is the same. I coded it a few times and I'm pretty sure it was done
similar way in http://members.home.nl/seedseven/#param and
http://members.home.nl/seedseven/#lathe as well. Of course those are not
perfect solution but non approximation if perfect.

ABX