POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yes, that time : Re: Yes, that time Server Time
8 Sep 2024 23:19:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yes, that time
From: Stephen
Date: 25 Jun 2008 04:13:24
Message: <nmu364p53ks8ea6ahfuesptn4s8v0tdekt@4ax.com>
On 24 Jun 2008 18:59:36 -0400, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom>
wrote:

>Indeed.  And the rest was good, think I might go and shoot some things in
>Perfect Dark again this evening.

Go for it! :)

>>>But as Adams always was keen to say (paraphrasing), the brilliance of
>>>Sci- Fi (or Sci-Fantasy, if you will)
>>
>> What I will is SF, actually ;)
>
>That works as well, covers both genres.  Most people conflate "Science
>Fiction" with "Science Fantasy".  Hardcore Sci-Fi people will tell you
>that something like H2G2 isn't Sci-Fi because it doesn't include a basis
>in science - it's basis is humour, set in space.

I don't know about that. I consider myself a "Hard SF" fan and think
that H2G2 is SF. Mainly because it takes the use of science or
technology to demolish the Earth. Scaling up zoning laws is acceptable
in my view.
As for using humour as a basis to discount a story as SF. Well the
good doctor was renowned for his humour.
"Who the hell cares what happens to a sabre tooth tiger" or "It takes
a pair of jacks to open" :)

>(I used to moderate a forum years and years ago on Science Fiction - very
>interesting mix of people).

I bet.

>I must've misunderstood what you said (not uncommon for me), but I
>thought you said you didn't like radio drama...

My problem is that I can seldom follow a serial as I live such a
disjointed life.
I like radio drama and often listen to recordings when driving. I

--

Regards
     Stephen