POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Portrayal of persons of color in stylized art. : Re: Portrayal of persons of color in stylized art. Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:15:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Portrayal of persons of color in stylized art.
From: Mike Williams
Date: 18 May 2004 02:04:29
Message: <nc4FZEA0aaqAFwOy@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Greg M. Johnson who wrote:

>Any tips on how to do this in raytracing? My guess is that cartoons expect
>us to see white skin "ambiented out", whereas in real life black skin
>generates interest from elements of the finish. (Really don't know how to
>say this.)

You might be interested in the fact that version 4 of Poser contained a
series of ethnic "characters". This feature was dropped from Poser 5.
The different ethnic characters had facial morphs that changed things
like the roundness and flatness of the face, the prominence of the
brows, the fullness of the lips and the shape of the nose. The skin
colours were achieved by taking the same image map (which was quite
pink) and multiplying it by different colours, and changing the
highlight colours.

The main colour of the image map was <.94, .71, .62>.

The Default character multiplied the image map by a plain colour
<.99, .88, .84> and had highlights coloured <.05, .05, .05>.

The "Carmen" character multiplied the same image map by the plain colour
<.55, .43, .37> and had highlights coloured <.16, .13, .10>.

[In POV, highlights are either the same hue as the light source or
filtered by the pigment (by specifying "metallic"), but in Poser the
highlights can be given a different colour.]

I reckon the nearest POV equivalents are something like:

Default:
  pigment {rgb <.93, .62, .52>}
  finish {phong 0.05 phong_size 7.1}

Carmen:
  pigment {rgb <.51, .30, .23>}
  finish {phong 0.28 metallic phong_size 7.1}

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure