POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How can I shift the image plane? : Re: How can I shift the image plane? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 12:20:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How can I shift the image plane?
From: Alex
Date: 28 Apr 2002 11:22:05
Message: <n0cSuNBVOBz8EwHx@lazysod.org.uk>
In message <3ccbc0a8@news.povray.org>, Vic <let### [at] fwhu> writes
>Hi Alex!

<snip>

>There would be a camera modifier in PovRay supporting stereo images, like:
>
>camera {
>    eye_distance 0.06
>}

I was rather expecting something along the lines of the following to
work:

#declare offset=1   // +1 for left eye, -1 for right, (0 for cyclops!)
camera {
   right <4,0,0>
   up <0,3,0>
   direction <offset,0,4>
   location <-5*offset,0,-20>
   look_at <0,0,0>
   }

but all that happens is the 'right' vector gets rotated to be
perpendicular to the direction vector, causing the keystone distortion
mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

>This should generate two images for each frame: a left eye view and a right
>eye view, such as:
>
>Stereo.pov =>
>Stereo01L.bmp
>Stereo01R.bmp
>Stereo02L.bmp
>Stereo02R.bmp
>
>This could simplify stereo animation, because on the one hand it's not
>needed to calculate a new clock variable according to frame_number, on the
>other hand left and right images can be separated and processed easily.
>
>A command line/configuration paramter can also be useful to support stereo
>view of existing scenes.

I'd just create a .pov file to render the left eye as stereoL.pov, then
just modify it for the right eye and save as stereoR.pov. But I'm just
lazy....

--
Alex