POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Simulating interference of coherent light : Re: Simulating interference of coherent light Server Time
6 May 2024 20:21:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Simulating interference of coherent light
From: Mike Williams
Date: 8 Dec 2002 08:17:33
Message: <mvbu0LAUY089Ewqd@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Kaveh who wrote:
>Slightly off topic, but I am not sure this is the correct way to find
>the interference pattern. I am still racking my brain. It seems logical
>to take the amplitude of each wave, and add them up at each point. But
>when I take the path difference first, by subtracting one path from the
>other, and then using the sine of that path difference, I get a
>different pattern, and one which looks more correct, i.e. continuous
>curved lines. I will think more on this.

Doing it my way, you get a snapshot of the true situation, like what
you'd see with water waves. Since light waves travel faster than you can
see, you probably want to sum this over
               sin(Dist1 + Theta) + sin(Dist2 + Theta)
for Theta varying from 0 to 360.

I don't happen to know how to solve that.

>Now how would I get this pattern through a volume, e.g. a cube? I want
>to see the strata running through an object, i.e. 3D fringes. I now get
>the pattern only on the surface. I tried using interior_texture, but it
>didn't work.

I think you can use media, and use the function as a density_map.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure