POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : A light bulb Server Time
19 Mar 2024 01:42:00 EDT (-0400)
  A light bulb (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: alanr
Subject: A light bulb
Date: 20 Feb 2011 20:25:01
Message: <web.4d61bd5bf7701b391d72ddf90@news.povray.org>
Apologies if this has been understood by others but an explanation I just read
seemed so simple I'm baffled it does not quite work as expected.

In Moray I created a csg union of a point light with a sphere and created a
whiteish material with a finish ambient set to 1, and sphere set no shadow.  But
it renders black, albeit light appears to emit from this object.

Have to turn the scene ambient up full in order to make the sphere look like its
lit, but this of course a produces general glow to all objects from an unseen
source which I dont really want.

Is setting the scene ambient to 1 the only way to get the sphere to "glow" or
have I missed something?

Post a reply to this message

> Apologies if this has been understood by others but an explanation I just read
> seemed so simple I'm baffled it does not quite work as expected.
>
> In Moray I created a csg union of a point light with a sphere and created a
> whiteish material with a finish ambient set to 1, and sphere set no shadow.  But
> it renders black, albeit light appears to emit from this object.
>
> Have to turn the scene ambient up full in order to make the sphere look like its
> lit, but this of course a produces general glow to all objects from an unseen
> source which I dont really want.
>
> Is setting the scene ambient to 1 the only way to get the sphere to "glow" or
> have I missed something?

If you're using radiosity then try emissive instead of ambient.

www.McGregorFineArt.com

Post a reply to this message