POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : RFC: Wishlist/features Server Time
26 Apr 2024 05:47:21 EDT (-0400)
  RFC: Wishlist/features (Message 11 to 20 of 58)
From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Subject: Re: RFC: Wishlist/features
Date: 16 Aug 2006 23:30:14
Message: <79n7e2h1ra11ik4rdhabi2job8ac41pjh0@4ax.com>
Hi Tim Cook, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> Ahh...ok, that is part of what I want to do, but a) doesn't move face
> along normal and b) shared edges of adjacent faces don't remain a shared
> edge.
I'm not sure, but you might be confusing mesh operations. The mesh
editor support four (or six if you take the checkbox into account)
Face operations:

* N-Move (stands for Normal-Move)
This moves a face/faces along the face's normal (the average normal if
more than one face is selected). If "Keep Faces Together" is checked,
adjacent faces will stay attached to the face in question. if it is
unchecked, the faces will detach from the mesh. Unchecking the
checkbox and having multiple faces selected can lead to a bit weird
results.

* Extrude
This moves a face/faces along the face's normal, but adjacent faces
stay in place and are connected to the original faces with newly
created polygons. If "Keep Faces Together" is unchecked, each face
moves along its normal independantly of all other selected faces. If
it is checked, adjacent faces will stay connected and all faces will
be extruded in the direction of the average normal.

* N-Scale
This scales a face towards its center (average of points, the blue
point). The normal of the face does not change. This mode is not very
useful for multiple faces (weird results).

* Inset
This creates a new face identical to the selected face and scales the
newly created points towards (or away from) the center of the face.
The normals of the inset face are identical to the original place and
all created polygons are in the same plane as the original face.

Hope that helps. Is there an operation that you'd like that isn't
covered?

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 17 Aug 2006 03:25:01
Message: <web.44e41974d1e4187af5a4f1460@news.povray.org>

> 3.  Import of .pov files would be *great* - even if it was limited to just
> standard primitives and CSG-type operations.  While SDL is a very rich
> language that allows things like looping and that sort of thing, a lot of
> times I'll generate SDL using Inkscape or something like that, and being
> able to import those files into a scene I'm working on in Moray would be
> fantastic.

This is one of mine as well.

Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 17 Aug 2006 03:30:00
Message: <web.44e41a93d1e4187af5a4f1460@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook <z99### [at] bellsouthnet> wrote:
> - Support for additional camera types

And light sources (cylinder | parallel)

> - Fix duplicate layer names when importing objects with same-named
>    layers

Gets my vote.

Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Wishlist/features
Date: 17 Aug 2006 08:23:35
Message: <44e45fc7$1@news.povray.org>
"Lutz Kretzschmar" <lut### [at] stmuccom> schreef in bericht

> 1) Fix it so that it works with POV-Ray 3.6 and later. :-)

Well, most has already been mentioned earlier. Still, one thing I am missing
is the ability to export meshes to other formats, like .obj, .sia, or
.wings. But just .obj would already be fine.
The reason is that - while Moray isgreat for building oblects rapidly, I
prefer (and others perhaps too) to do serious mesh editing in Silo or
Wings3D where I can manipulate the mesh around easily. So, direct export or
export through Poseray, would be really an improvement.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 17 Aug 2006 08:35:36
Message: <ojo8e29v4a3clnig62klafisj1phmpgoh1@4ax.com>
On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 14:23:34 +0200, "Thomas de Groot"
<t.d### [at] internlnet> wrote:

>Well, most has already been mentioned earlier. Still, one thing I am missing
>is the ability to export meshes to other formats, like .obj, .sia, or
>.wings. But just .obj would already be fine.
>The reason is that - while Moray isgreat for building oblects rapidly, I
>prefer (and others perhaps too) to do serious mesh editing in Silo or
>Wings3D where I can manipulate the mesh around easily. So, direct export or
>export through Poseray, would be really an improvement.
>
>Thomas

IIRC the 3dWin plugin can do that. After several crashes I've not
reinstalled it, don't know if I can even find it :-(
But still it's a good wish.

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 17 Aug 2006 10:54:54
Message: <44e4833e$1@news.povray.org>
"Stephen" <mcavoysATaolDOTcom@> schreef in bericht

> IIRC the 3dWin plugin can do that. After several crashes I've not
> reinstalled it, don't know if I can even find it :-(
> But still it's a good wish.

Ah! I forgot that plugin indeed. I had problems in the past with it too, and
never reinstalled it. So, it seems to me that an integrated export by Moray
would be a better solution.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 17 Aug 2006 11:01:34
Message: <s519e2tisfdmldn9vd4fm023dfvkouna9l@4ax.com>
On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 16:54:53 +0200, "Thomas de Groot"
<t.d### [at] internlnet> wrote:

>Ah! I forgot that plugin indeed. I had problems in the past with it too, and
>never reinstalled it. So, it seems to me that an integrated export by Moray
>would be a better solution.

We will have to stop agreeing, so often :-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Cook
Date: 17 Aug 2006 11:31:34
Message: <44e48bd6$1@news.povray.org>
Lutz Kretzschmar wrote:
> I'm not sure, but you might be confusing mesh operations. The mesh
> editor support four (or six if you take the checkbox into account)
> Face operations:
>
> * N-Move (stands for Normal-Move)
> This moves a face/faces along the face's normal (the average normal if
> more than one face is selected). If "Keep Faces Together" is checked,
> adjacent faces will stay attached to the face in question. if it is
> unchecked, the faces will detach from the mesh. Unchecking the
> checkbox and having multiple faces selected can lead to a bit weird
> results.
> * N-Scale
> This scales a face towards its center (average of points, the blue
> point). The normal of the face does not change. This mode is not very
> useful for multiple faces (weird results).

> Hope that helps. Is there an operation that you'd like that isn't
> covered?

Hmm, basically I'm looking for an operation that combines both of these
into a single action (also *tries unchecking keep faces together with
n-move and multiple faces selected* ooooh trippy.  if that is
correctable so that each selected face moves independently along its own
normal)  Not sure how overlaps should be handled, but what I want would
produce the same result as a uniform scale on things like a sphere or
cube, but when you try to do that with a more complex object...a good
example of a use for what I'm doing is i.e. taking a Poser figure,
shrinking the whole thing along its normals, then making the inner copy
solid and the outer filled with scattering media for cheaper subsurface
scattering (or expanding the whole thing along its normals and doing the
same to get a 'halo' effect)

--
Tim Cook
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-empyrean

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 17 Aug 2006 12:52:08
Message: <pan.2006.08.17.16.51.58.544751@nospam.com>
Another that comes to mind is that occasionally I open a file and get a
warning message that there are keyframes for an object that's not in the
image - it would be useful if there was an option to automatically clean
this up.

I'll have to find such a file and open it to get the specific error
message.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: StephenS
Date: 17 Aug 2006 19:55:16
Message: <44e501e4@news.povray.org>
> Do any of you have any scenes that are that large for me to
> play/experiment with?
The following is a file i'm working on, Floor_plan_A.mdl. I consider it only
half, or maybe only one quarter finished. You, or anyone else, may download
this file. The website has a limited bandwidth.

ca.geocities.com/morbjectay/Floor_plan_A.zip 78kb

I will put together another zip of  udo's and plugins as time permits. None
of the udo's or plugins add much to the overall scene.

Stephen