POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : RFC: Wishlist/features : Re: RFC: Wishlist/features Server Time
6 May 2024 11:49:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RFC: Wishlist/features
From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 16 Aug 2006 23:30:14
Message: <79n7e2h1ra11ik4rdhabi2job8ac41pjh0@4ax.com>
Hi Tim Cook, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> Ahh...ok, that is part of what I want to do, but a) doesn't move face
> along normal and b) shared edges of adjacent faces don't remain a shared
> edge.
I'm not sure, but you might be confusing mesh operations. The mesh
editor support four (or six if you take the checkbox into account)
Face operations:

* N-Move (stands for Normal-Move)
This moves a face/faces along the face's normal (the average normal if
more than one face is selected). If "Keep Faces Together" is checked,
adjacent faces will stay attached to the face in question. if it is
unchecked, the faces will detach from the mesh. Unchecking the
checkbox and having multiple faces selected can lead to a bit weird
results.

* Extrude
This moves a face/faces along the face's normal, but adjacent faces
stay in place and are connected to the original faces with newly
created polygons. If "Keep Faces Together" is unchecked, each face
moves along its normal independantly of all other selected faces. If
it is checked, adjacent faces will stay connected and all faces will
be extruded in the direction of the average normal.

* N-Scale
This scales a face towards its center (average of points, the blue
point). The normal of the face does not change. This mode is not very
useful for multiple faces (weird results).

* Inset
This creates a new face identical to the selected face and scales the
newly created points towards (or away from) the center of the face.
The normals of the inset face are identical to the original place and
all created polygons are in the same plane as the original face.

Hope that helps. Is there an operation that you'd like that isn't
covered?

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray