POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.binaries : Domer Plugin, TMI Plugin C++ Server Time: 27 May 2017 08:02:51 GMT
  Domer Plugin, TMI Plugin C++ (Message 1 to 9 of 9)  
From: The Nerd Show
Subject: Domer Plugin, TMI Plugin C++
Date: 30 Jun 2005 23:35:01
Message: <web.42c47ffbbf390932a797a0a60@news.povray.org>
I am releasing two plugins for Moray 3.5.

Domer Plugin (With RanDome) for Moray 3.5  pushes your polyhedron palette,
delegating the difficulties of digital dome design to the desktop.
Triangulation and tessellation of the 5 platonic solids,  cube tetrahedron,
octahedron, icosahedron, and dodecahedron, gives you a a plethora of
polytopes to play with at your next polygon party.  Well, it beats watching
the tube.  Also included are icosidodecahedron and octahexacube.

"RanDome" Plugin.  This random hull creation tool helps you to model
natural-looking objects, such as rocks, potatoes, pine cones, flowers,
nuts, seeds, etc.  Although it deserves a title of its own, I have included
it inside the above Domer plugin.

Technical note:  Domer objects will not render in the PoV raytracer until
you convert them to mesh from the Edit menu.  This may change in a future
release.

===================

TMI Plugin (Triangle Mesh Importer, Now With VRML Export).  This plugin for
Moray 3.5 sews together up to 1,000 individual triangles into one
contiguous mesh.  We all know there is nothing worse on your first internet
date than looking down and realizing your avatar's mesh has decomposed into
triangles, ..right?  The extra vertices and edges lead to limp browser
performance, not to mention hair loss.  Well, use this mesh enhancement
add-on to sew them back together into a more rigid and durable structure!
Also handy for importing raw triangle collections from programs, such as
AutoCad .DXF, .PoVRay .POV or .INC (might work with others).

VRML Exporter (Included in the TMI plugin, above).  This tool exports a mesh
of triangles or quads to .WRL (VRML97 Indexed Face Set), so you can use
Moray's superior interface for online 3D content creation.  The VRML export
does not support primitives.  I saw no need for this, since Moray can
easily convert primitives to mesh, prior to export.  Mesh objects render
faster in VRML anyway.  And, finally, primitives aren't known for their
social behavior.  They could, for example, decide to render differently
than expected.

I have attached the domer plugin.  The TMI plugin is available on my
website, www.thenerdshow.com

Enjoy!


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'domer.zip' (336 KB)

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Domer Plugin, TMI Plugin C++
Date: 3 Jul 2005 07:03:57
Message: <42c78ddd@news.povray.org>
"The Nerd Show" <nomail@nomail> schreef in bericht
news:web.42c47ffbbf390932a797a0a60@news.povray.org...
> I am releasing two plugins for Moray 3.5.
>
Thanks for the good work!
>
> I have attached the domer plugin.  The TMI plugin is available on my
> website, www.thenerdshow.com
>
I have tried Domer. I am less interested in TMI, so, for the time being, I
left it aside.

Domer works fine. One little bug only: the word 'Scale' appears at the top
right while it should be above the appropriate toggles lower down.

Changing the platonic forms does not immediately changes the object on
screen, but only after toggling one of the other buttons. That is annoying
because one wants to see the different forms right away and only afterwards
change the settings.

In fact, I wonder if the name is appropriate as the object created is not
strictly a 'dome' (like the dome plugin by Philippe Gibone, which I
recommend). A (terrible!) name could be 'PlatoBuilder'    :-)    oh,
well....


Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: leseur sylvain
Subject: Re: Domer Plugin, TMI Plugin C++
Date: 4 Jul 2005 16:50:02
Message: <42c968ba@news.povray.org>
Great, but why do you call it "Dome"?
What's in the futur version?
A great interest for TMI, but i can't download it?
Friendly
Sylvain


"The Nerd Show" <nomail@nomail> a écrit dans le message de
news:web.42c47ffbbf390932a797a0a60@news.povray.org...
> I am releasing two plugins for Moray 3.5.
>
> Domer Plugin (With RanDome) for Moray 3.5  pushes your polyhedron palette,
> delegating the difficulties of digital dome design to the desktop.
> Triangulation and tessellation of the 5 platonic solids,  cube
tetrahedron,
> octahedron, icosahedron, and dodecahedron, gives you a a plethora of
> polytopes to play with at your next polygon party.  Well, it beats
watching
> the tube.  Also included are icosidodecahedron and octahexacube.
>
> "RanDome" Plugin.  This random hull creation tool helps you to model
> natural-looking objects, such as rocks, potatoes, pine cones, flowers,
> nuts, seeds, etc.  Although it deserves a title of its own, I have
included
> it inside the above Domer plugin.
>
> Technical note:  Domer objects will not render in the PoV raytracer until
> you convert them to mesh from the Edit menu.  This may change in a future
> release.
>
> ===================
>
> TMI Plugin (Triangle Mesh Importer, Now With VRML Export).  This plugin
for
> Moray 3.5 sews together up to 1,000 individual triangles into one
> contiguous mesh.  We all know there is nothing worse on your first
internet
> date than looking down and realizing your avatar's mesh has decomposed
into
> triangles, ..right?  The extra vertices and edges lead to limp browser
> performance, not to mention hair loss.  Well, use this mesh enhancement
> add-on to sew them back together into a more rigid and durable structure!
> Also handy for importing raw triangle collections from programs, such as
> AutoCad .DXF, .PoVRay .POV or .INC (might work with others).
>
> VRML Exporter (Included in the TMI plugin, above).  This tool exports a
mesh
> of triangles or quads to .WRL (VRML97 Indexed Face Set), so you can use
> Moray's superior interface for online 3D content creation.  The VRML
export
> does not support primitives.  I saw no need for this, since Moray can
> easily convert primitives to mesh, prior to export.  Mesh objects render
> faster in VRML anyway.  And, finally, primitives aren't known for their
> social behavior.  They could, for example, decide to render differently
> than expected.
>
> I have attached the domer plugin.  The TMI plugin is available on my
> website, www.thenerdshow.com
>
> Enjoy!
>
>


Post a reply to this message

From: Henry
Subject: Re: Domer Plugin, TMI Plugin C++
Date: 7 Jul 2005 16:37:56
Message: <42cd5a64$1@news.povray.org>
New improved versions of both plugins are out now.  Many of the problems are 
fixed.  I went ahead and converted everything to use spinners, since that's 
all anyone can seem to figure out.  I went a step further and had the 
spinner update the text label.  Seems to work fine.

Henry

www.thenerdshow.com


Post a reply to this message

From: Remy Closset
Subject: Re: Domer Plugin, TMI Plugin C++
Date: 7 Jul 2005 17:18:48
Message: <42cd63f8$1@news.povray.org>
Hurrah! Henry the TMI plugin works fine. I imported the cow. Its 
perfect!!!!!!!!!!!
One thousend mercis.

Rémy

"Henry" <use_the_feedback_form@site> a écrit dans le message de news: 
42cd5a64$1@news.povray.org...
> New improved versions of both plugins are out now.  Many of the problems 
> are fixed.  I went ahead and converted everything to use spinners, since 
> that's all anyone can seem to figure out.  I went a step further and had 
> the spinner update the text label.  Seems to work fine.
>
> Henry
>
> www.thenerdshow.com
>
>
>


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Domer Plugin, TMI Plugin C++
Date: 9 Jul 2005 07:27:07
Message: <42cf7c4b@news.povray.org>
"Henry" <use_the_feedback_form@site> schreef in bericht
news:42cd5a64$1@news.povray.org...
> New improved versions of both plugins are out now.  Many of the problems
are
> fixed.  I went ahead and converted everything to use spinners, since
that's
> all anyone can seem to figure out.  I went a step further and had the
> spinner update the text label.  Seems to work fine.
>

Excellent, Henry! ...and almost perfect!
What I would like now, are the platonic objects to be oriented *correctly*
in their most basic shape, i.e. with subdivision 0. So, the octahedron would
be balanced on its point, the cube and tetrahedron on one of their faces,
etc. like in the example small images.
Would that be possible?

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Henry
Subject: Re: Domer Plugin, TMI Plugin C++
Date: 9 Jul 2005 11:25:50
Message: <42cfb43e@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlnet> wrote in message 
news:42cf7c4b@news.povray.org...
>
> "Henry" <use_the_feedback_form@site> schreef in bericht
> news:42cd5a64$1@news.povray.org...
>> New improved versions of both plugins are out now.  Many of the problems
> are
>> fixed.  I went ahead and converted everything to use spinners, since
> that's
>> all anyone can seem to figure out.  I went a step further and had the
>> spinner update the text label.  Seems to work fine.
>>
>
> Excellent, Henry! ...and almost perfect!
> What I would like now, are the platonic objects to be oriented *correctly*
> in their most basic shape, i.e. with subdivision 0. So, the octahedron 
> would
> be balanced on its point, the cube and tetrahedron on one of their faces,
> etc. like in the example small images.
> Would that be possible?
>
> Thomas
>

Very possible.  It looks like the tetrahedron and icosahedron are the only 
ones that are on edge.  I suppose the tetrahedron should rest on a face and 
the icosahedron should balance on a point.  I would just need to re-orient 
the coordinates.  Luckily, this is easy to do because Moray can convert the 
object to mesh in any orientation.

I'm actually toying with yet another idea...  The shapes use the mesh2 
format, which fits nicely into UDO.  What I am thinking is allowing for the 
tessellation of a UDO object.  The only problem with that idea is Moray will 
crash when I exceed the size of the vertex array.  Thus I would need to 
re-declare the arrays as dynamic.  Also, there is the the potential problem 
of people supplying incompatible shapes.  I don't even want to know what 
would happen if somebody tried to tessellate chess.udo.

Henry


Post a reply to this message

From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Subject: Re: Domer Plugin, TMI Plugin C++
Date: 9 Jul 2005 18:54:33
Message: <t870d1tasnbs5tnutffmsatfcdt1fr4t11@4ax.com>
Hi Henry, you recently wrote in moray.binaries:

> I'm actually toying with yet another idea...  The shapes use the mesh2 
> format, which fits nicely into UDO.  
I would suggest avoiding UDO if at all possible. If you are using the
SDK, use the functions that create a mesh object instead, since that
maps perfectly to mesh2. If you need an example of how to create a
mesh2, let me know.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray


Post a reply to this message

From: Henry
Subject: Re: Domer Plugin, TMI Plugin C++
Date: 9 Jul 2005 21:31:51
Message: <42d04247$1@news.povray.org>
"Lutz Kretzschmar" <lut### [at] stmuccom> wrote in message 
news:t870d1tasnbs5tnutffmsatfcdt1fr4t11@4ax.com...
> Hi Henry, you recently wrote in moray.binaries:
>
>> I'm actually toying with yet another idea...  The shapes use the mesh2
>> format, which fits nicely into UDO.
> I would suggest avoiding UDO if at all possible. If you are using the
> SDK, use the functions that create a mesh object instead, since that
> maps perfectly to mesh2. If you need an example of how to create a
> mesh2, let me know.
>
> - Lutz
>  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
>  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

No, you misunderstand.  I'm already using mesh2 and my plugin is working 
fine.  I'm just thinking of exposing some of its configuration in a 
user-editable file.  Perhaps I should include an .inc file that users can 
modify.

What I really need is to take what I have learned so far and go find a 
programming or design job so I can afford to buy the full license for Moray. 
I think you have a great product and it was a pleasure to learn C++ while 
working with your SDK.

Henry
www.thenerdshow.com


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.