POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Problems with image_map : Problems with image_map Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:24:38 EDT (-0400)
  Problems with image_map
From: Nils Bronstert
Date: 2 Nov 2002 07:38:11
Message: <mck0qa.pja.ln@520075573253-0001.dialin.t-online.de>
Hello,

I have some questions about using image-maps in POV-Ray. There seem to
be a lot of restrictions using them, so I'm not sure how to do some
things I want to do.

The first problem is: I have some objects and I want to apply an
image_map to them. For example I have a box in my scene-file and I want
to use an image_map on all sides except the top and the bottom. I've
done the following:

#declare Picture = texture {pigment {image_map {png "picture.png"
                                             interpolate 2
                                             once}}
                         finish {ambient 0.2}
                         scale 4-Epsilon
                         translate <-2+Epsilon/2, 0, -2+Epsilon/2>}

box {<-2, 0, -2>, <2, 4, 2>
     texture {pigment {color White}
              finish {ambient 0.2}}
     texture {Picture}
     rotate y*90
     texture {Picture}
     rotate y*90
     texture {Picture}
     rotate y*90
     texture {Picture}
     rotate y*90}

This doesn't work the way I expected. It seems that the logo.png is
punched through the cube, so that on the other side of the cube it
appears mirrored.
My question is: How do I put an image_map on all sides of the cube?
Do I have to make the box out of two objects or is there an easyer
solution? The problem gets even worse, because I have a prism-object
with six sides where I want to have an image on each side.

The second question is: Why can't I apply an image_map to a CSG-object?
Is there a solution for this problem?

And finally the third question: Is it possible to wrap an image_map
with "map_type 2" around a box? If yes, then how does the image have to
look? May I use an image that contains 4 images - one for every side of
the box like this?

Regards
--
Nils Bronstert                            /// C= Amiga PPC 604e 266 MHz
mailto:bro### [at] fh-wormsde                ///           68060 50 MHz