POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : OK, this time really counts... : OK, this time really counts... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:18:35 EDT (-0400)
  OK, this time really counts...
From: Matthew Pace
Date: 5 Nov 2003 20:32:36
Message: <matt-pace-7B05E0.17323505112003@netplex.aussie.org>
Last time I asked a isosurface question, it was a stupid error on my
part, and thats what I get for coding too late at nite...  This time,
though, I am really confused.  IF (IF) I understand isosurfaced
correctly here, (tell me if Im wrong), POV checks to see which parts of
the containing box fit into the function to equal the threshold.  if
this is true, take the following scene:

camera
{
   location <3,12,-15>
   look_at  <0,0,0>
}

light_source
{
   <5,14,-10>
   color rgb <2,2,2>
   area_light
   <3,0,0>,<0,0,3>,5,5
   adaptive 1
   jitter
}

isosurface
{
   function{-y}
   threshold 0
   contained_by{sphere{0,5}}
   pigment
   {
      color rgb <1,1,1>
   }
}

and help me out here.

1) Wouldnt just a plane show up?  y equals 0 on only one plane, doesnt
it?
2) If y is negative, why is the positive part of the sphere shaded?

thanks a lot.