POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Optimizing CSG : Re: Optimizing CSG Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:05:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Optimizing CSG
From: Mike Williams
Date: 19 Aug 2000 09:17:22
Message: <mGfiMCAnqkn5EwgU@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Remco de Korte who wrote:

>I considered using triangles or a mesh, which would have been much faster were
>it not that I want the front and back of the sheet to have a different pigment.
>In fact, in the original object I use image_maps. That doesn't affect the speed
>much.
>I also thought about using triangles and alternating the pigment depending on
>which side is face towards the camera but I couldn't figure out how to do that
>in POV.
>Two thin boxes seemed like the easiest way.

Err, at the moment your object is actually the same colour on both
sides. I think you meant to write

  #declare origami=
  union{
    object{front}
    object{back}
  }

instead of

  #declare origami=object{front}
  union{
    object{front}
    object{back}
  }

In this version "origami" is #declared to be the red box, and then a
copy of the bi-coloured box is rendered.

It's possible to have meshes (or anything else) with different textures
on each side in MegaPOV, by using the "interior_texture" keyword.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure