POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Possibly stupid question re: autosave : Re: Possibly stupid question re: autosave Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:19:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Possibly stupid question re: autosave
From: Mike Williams
Date: 17 Sep 2001 02:48:49
Message: <m7byDDAPqZp7EwLO@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Greg M. Johnson who wrote:
>Is there an autosave feature operative in either Mega 0.7 or 3.5?
>
>When working on important projects, I frequently end up with dozens of
>ini files,  walker01.pov, walker02.pov, etc.,  as I make stepwise
>improvements to complicated code.  Sometimes when I have to go back to
>an old file, it is halfway between two versions.  It's possible this is
>just error on my part, but I thought I'd ask..........

3.5 beta 2 has a fix to a rather nasty bug in the "save as" code that
was identified during beta 1 testing, but was present in earlier
versions. If you make a change to a scene and then save it as a new file
name, 3.1, 3.5b1 and all the Mega's would also overwrite the old file
with the changes.

(This explained a lot of strange situations for me, where many of my
Isosurface tutorial files ended up containing the wrong code, but I kept
thinking it must be my fault. I would take one of the example files,
make a few changes, and save it as the next example, and when I came
back I'd find that the first example contained code for the second one.)

It is believed that switching "auto-reload" off is a workround. Or you
could use 3.5b2. Or you could be very careful to perform the "save as"
before making any changes.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure