POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Why not take advantage? : Re: Why not take advantage? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 07:28:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why not take advantage?
From: Roland Mas
Date: 9 Oct 1998 04:59:43
Message: <m3u31ew4ea.fsf@rpc66.acr.atr.co.jp>
Lewis Sellers <lse### [at] usitnet> writes:

> All that said, they might make for a decent "dirty preview" mode, where
> you could move a shaded/textured model around and choose camera
> positions, etc etc. Perhaps.

  Except that you'd have to tesselate every single object in your scene
into triangles and transform every single procedural texture into an image
mapping.  That would add a huuuge amount of code into POV-Ray.  And would
use sooo much time at run-time that the raytracing might just as well be
faster than the transformation itself.  Well, I suppose.

Roland.
--
Les francophones m'appellent Roland Mas,
English speakers call me Rowlannd' Mass,