POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Update to www.povray.org : Re: Update to www.povray.org Server Time
13 Aug 2024 03:18:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Update to www.povray.org
From: Roland Mas
Date: 10 Nov 1998 03:19:40
Message: <m3g1bsx8hx.fsf@rpc66.acr.atr.co.jp>
"povray.org assistant webmaster" <webassist1@[nospam]povray.org> writes:

> The question I have is this: What categories are necessary?

  Target environment, with different subclasses.  Microsoft (DOS, Windows
3.1, 95, 98, NT), Unix (Linux, FreeBSD, SunOS, Digital Unix, HP-UX, etc.),
MacOS, OS/2, BeOS...

  Distribution model (shareware, freeware, open source, postcardware,
whateverware, etc.).

  Development state: alpha, beta, released and supported, no more
supported, for historical use only, etc.

  Obviously, main function of the program: modeller, converter,
post-processer, etc.

  Interfaces (import/export facilities): POV-Ray, Rayshade, BMRT, etc.
GIF, JPEG, Targa Truevision, *.ppm, *.png, etc.  MPEG, Quicktime, *.avi,
etc. AIFF, *.au, MPEG, Wave (you never know, maybe someone could post an
audio and video MPEG encoder).

  User interface: command-line, graphical, script-capable, library only,
etc.

  Okay, maybe not all of these are necessary, but they could give you ideas
for other ones that are more important and that I forgot.

Roland.
--
Les francophones m'appellent Roland Mas,
English speakers call me Rowlannd' Mass,