POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Silent POV, holy POV : Re: Silent POV, holy POV Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:18:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Silent POV, holy POV
From: Roland Mas
Date: 19 Feb 1999 15:29:23
Message: <m3emnmb0im.fsf@clodomir.rezel.enst.fr>
"Dick Balaska" <dik### [at] SeeOrganizationField> writes:

> I am having a problem getting POV to run silent, run deep.
> I have written an animation controller for my humbleNet that spawns POV-Ray.
> On Linux and Windows, i can't get POV to be transparent.
>
> Linux: s-povray wants svgalib.  Not available. x-povray insists on
> opening a render window, which of course steals focus from where i'm
> really working and requires an Xserver.  I've tried -D +D -D0 +D0,
> but can't get it to not display.

  Strange...  I have a CGI shell script that runs x-povray.  I can
tell you that it works.  As a CGI (that is, when called by Apache), or
as a standalone program (that is, on the Linux console, without any X
server running).

  Try analysing the output of POV-Ray (I mean, the textual part).
Mine gives:

(roland@clodomir) ~/tmp $ ./pov-date.png
Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version 3.02.Linux.gcc
  This is an official version prepared by the POV-Ray Team(tm).  See the
    documentation on how to contact the authors or post a message on
    CompuServe's GO POVRAY Forum.  Also visit http://www.povray.org.
Copyright 1997 POV-Ray Team(tm)
Parsing Options
  Input file: stdin (compatible to version 3.0)
  Remove bounds........On  Split unions........Off
  Library paths: /usr/local/lib/povray3 /usr/local/lib/povray3/include
    /home/roland/perso/pov/scenes /home/roland/perso/pov/include
    /home/roland/perso/pov/include/fontes /home/roland/perso/images
    /usr/local/lib/povray3/include/
Output Options
  Image resolution 234 by 30 (rows 1 to 30, columns 1 to 234).
  Output file: stdout, 24 bpp Targa, 1024 KByte buffer
  Graphic display.....Off
  Mosaic preview......Off
  CPU usage histogram.Off
  Continued trace.....Off  Allow interruption...On  Pause when done......On
  Verbose messages.....On
Tracing Options
  Quality:  9
  Bounding boxes.......On  Bounding threshold: 2
  Light Buffer.........On  Vista Buffer.........On
  Antialiasing........Off
  Radiosity...........Off
Animation Options
  Clock value....   0.000  (Animation off)
Redirecting Options
  All Streams to console..........On
  Debug Stream to console.........On
  Fatal Stream to console.........On
  Render Stream to console........On
  Statistics Stream to console....On
  Warning Stream to console.......On

Parsing...
[cut]

  Try and see that the "Graphic display.....Off" line is actually "Off".

Roland.
--
Les francophones m'appellent Roland Mas,
English speakers call me Rowlannd' Mass,