POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Night lighting? : Re: Night lighting? Server Time
14 Aug 2024 03:14:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Night lighting?
From: Roland Mas
Date: 11 Oct 1998 00:43:32
Message: <m390inkbij.fsf@rpc66.acr.atr.co.jp>
I apparently once again missed the beginning of the thread.

Guillaume Pottier <gui### [at] csicom> writes:

> Hello everybody,
>
> Did you notice that, in movies, night scenes are not totally dark
> (hopefully !), but rather lighted by BLUE light projectors ?
> Furthermore, they are sometimes directed, not straight down to the faces
> of the actors, but to a part of the scene that will then reflect this
> light onto the faces, bodies, and so on... giving them "dark" colours,
> if I may say so.

  I once wanted to experiment with lighting ambances, such as the normal
daylight, some sunset time of the day, and some night ambiance. So I took
the same scene and changed only the light sources and the global ambient
colour setting.  You can have a look at the result (I *know* it's poor, it
was just some kind of experimentation) on one of my web pages, this one is
at <URL:http://www.mygale.org/~roland/pov/>.  If need be I can post the
sources here, but not before tomorrow.

  Basically, I not only changed the light sources to be more blue, but I
hugely increased the ambient values of the objects and tinted this ambient
blue.  The light sources have then been decreased in intensity to soften
the shadows and compensate for the high ambient.  Well, that's what I
recall of it, anyway...

  HAve fun,

Roland.

P.S : By the way... could you stop posting HTML please? Thanks...
--
Les francophones m'appellent Roland Mas,
English speakers call me Rowlannd' Mass,