POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Rendering across multiple machines : Re: Rendering across multiple machines Server Time
6 Oct 2024 12:11:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering across multiple machines
From: Roland Mas
Date: 23 Sep 1998 21:41:46
Message: <m367ee49yy.fsf@rpc66.acr.atr.co.jp>
"Alan McFarlane" <amc### [at] bigfootcom> writes:

> Anyone got any idea as to how to write some code to allow pov to render
> across two machines using a serial link?

  Don't break your head on it, some people already did... They called it
PVM-POV. It assumes you have a TCP layer (or at least IP), so if you use
PPP on your serial link you can use it. It makes use of the Parallel
Virtual Machine, the homepage of which can be found at
<URL:http://www.epm.ornl.gov/pvm/pvm_home.html>. The patch for POV-Ray
(3.0) is available on Andreas Dilger's web page at Calgary:
<URL:http://www-mddsp.enel.ucalgary.ca/People/adilger/povray/pvmpov.html>

  The point is, unless your scenes are really complex and require a huge
amount of computation for each pixel, this will not be very useful on a
slow link such as a serial one, because the transmission speed will be the
limiting factor. If your scene is really complex, though, you can expect
the overall speed of calculation to be very low, and so the transmission
speed will not limit any more. Could be worth it.

Roland.
--
Les francophones m'appellent Roland Mas,
English speakers call me Rowlannd' Mass,