POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : This Human Hair Tutorial : Re: This Human Hair Tutorial Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:21:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This Human Hair Tutorial
From: Mike Williams
Date: 18 Nov 2004 15:16:47
Message: <luvhXKAjLQnBFwhG@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it ShiJie who wrote:

>#declare HairTex = texture {
>  pigment_pattern {image_map {jpeg "Hair-Opa.jpg" interpolate 2}}
>  texture_map {
>     [0 pigment {rgbt <0,0,0,1>}]
>     [1 pigment {image_map {jpeg "Hair.jpg" interpolate 2 }}]
>  }
>}
>I didn't get to make it a little more shinier (I guess that's where the
>specularity map comes to play.. ). I don't exactly know how this is done, I
>can't call a "finish" in the texture if I already have a texture_map. Any
>advises?

The thing is that you don't want the {rgbt <0,0,0,1>} bit to be shiny
because there'd be shininess in the gaps between the hairs. So what you
do is only apply your shiny finish{} to the visible bits, thus using the
same map to control opacity and shininess. Something like this:

#declare HairTex = texture {
 pigment_pattern {image_map {jpeg "Hair-Opa.jpg" interpolate 2}}
 texture_map {
     [0 pigment {rgbt <0,0,0,1>}]
     [1 texture {
          pigment {image_map {jpeg "Hair.jpg" interpolate 2 }}
          finish {phong 1 phong_size 10}
        }
     ]
  }