POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Problem with Wood Texture in v3.5 BETA : Re: Problem with Wood Texture in v3.5 BETA Server Time
3 Jul 2024 01:09:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem with Wood Texture in v3.5 BETA
From: Mike Williams
Date: 3 Nov 2001 15:43:42
Message: <lug+EBAvZF57Ewri@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Colin Fleming who wrote:
>Anybody,
>
>I've taken out all the dead wood (forgive the pun) out of the following source,
>but I still have a problem rendering this wood texture with v3.5 BETA 6 and BETA
>7.
>
>The code below renders the same in v3.1g and MegaPOV v0.7, but v3.5 BETA 6/7 is
>different.
>
>However if you add the #version directive, it will render the same, what I
>don't understand is why the code below would produce such a difference, I can't
>see any specific piece of code that is pre v3.5 only.
>
>Any comments?

The POV 3.5 documentation says:-

  Note: in versions predating POV-Ray 3.5, filter used to work the same
  as transmit in layered textures. It has been changed to work as filter
  should. This can change the appearance of "pre 3.5" textures a lot.
  The #version directive can be used to get the "pre 3.5" behaviour.

If you've got scenes that contain layered textures that rely on the
faulty layered texture filter code, then you can either use #version (as
you noticed). Alternatively you could change all the occurrences of
filter within the layered textures to transmit - this will still work
the same in 3.1 because it treated filter and transmit as being the
same.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure