POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Tessellating a union of spheres : Re: Tessellating a union of spheres Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:22:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tessellating a union of spheres
From: Jellby
Date: 14 Oct 2006 13:39:50
Message: <lij704-blt.ln1@badulaque.unex.es>
Among other things, Alain saw fit to write:

> Are your objects opaque? If so, you don't have to remove anything, the
> intersecting parts will get hiden inside the other object.
>
> If they are transparent, you can use a merge of the different shapes. That
> way, if your meshes have a clearly deffined inside(inside vector), it's
> possible to remove the parts that are inside the other object.

Thanks for the reply. But as I said, this is not directly related to
POV-Ray, it's not a problem of rendering the object, but of getting a
definition for the surface, and I cannot have intersecting triangles, all
of them have to be in the surface.

I'm considering another method: projecting a tesselated sphere and then
subdividing the mesh when needed... This would the "advantage" of only
giving the outer surface (which is what I ultimately need, I believe).

--
light_source{9+9*x,1}camera{orthographic look_at(1-y)/4angle 30location
9/4-z*4}light_source{-9*z,1}union{box{.9-z.1+x clipped_by{plane{2+y-4*x