POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Can POV-Ray model gamma rays instead of visible light? : Re: Can POV-Ray model gamma rays instead of visible light? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 10:16:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can POV-Ray model gamma rays instead of visible light?
From: IMBJR
Date: 12 Mar 2004 19:22:03
Message: <l7l450p5lqkio8n5td43jfj73gdrv99o9q@4ax.com>
On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 15:08:05 -0800, Jack Twilley
<jmt+use### [at] twilleyorg> wrote:

>I have been wondering how useful POV-Ray would be in tracing gamma
>rays instead of visible light.  This could be useful for modeling
>gamma ray shielding and gamma ray buildup.  Reflection, refraction,
>and dispersion are very similar between the two types of EM radiation,
>as far as I can see.  Obviously, I'd have to create my own material
>definitions and I'd only be able to test one energy level at a time,
>but #ifdef's would help with that.  The biggest obstruction I can see
>is how to associate exposure levels with brightnesses, but I imagine
>that could be done by creating very simple scenes matching calibrated
>environments with accurate tested values.
>
>Any thoughts?
>
>Jack.

Straight away I believe the problem is that POV-Ray has no concept of
wavelength when it comes to light. The photon modelling that POV does
is particle based.

As usual, people, please correct me if I'm wrong.

My First Subgenius Picture Book:
http://www.imbjr.com